[lbo-talk] macho macho man

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Sep 16 13:32:26 PDT 2008

At 04:23 PM 9/16/2008, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>shag --
>
>I was talking about, and playing around with, perceptions of certain
>segments of the population. Whether or not a prez can actually kick
>someone's ass is irrelevant. We're talking fantasy projection, here.
>Though I do understand that U.S. Grant was fond of booting immigrants in
>the crotch.
>
>Dennis

well, it's _my_ perception that most of them can't. in other words, i personally don't perceive shrub as kick ass tough, nor did i perceive reagan as tough. etc. etc. so i'm trying to understand what is this characteristic of toughness that presidents' are supposed to have, according to this segment. obviously,

you wrote:

"I think this is why Obama can't shake McCain. For all of his soaring rhetoric and historic purpose, he's now entering crunch time, and some stress is starting to show. Obama doesn't look like a guy who can whip your ass, and for countless Americans, that's a bad sign. Granted, Nixon didn't appear all that imposing, but he surrounded himself with known gangsters and con men, which beefed up his profile. McCain's old, yet he gives the impression that he'd get in a few solid shots, maybe bite off a piece of your ear or nose, before you finally took him out. And Sarah Palin? The woman looks crazed, and kills large animals from a fucking helicopter! A lot of Americans clearly love that, and on this front, Obama can't compete. All he has is Joe Biden playing Harold Hill from "The Music Man." Not the sidekick you want when boasting about your desire to kill hajji scum."

so, i'm scratching my head and trying to see what you see, in order to see any of these people this way. granted, maybe you don't, but you are apparently adept at seeing like the people you're speaking of. what are they seeing? what are the signals?

??