[lbo-talk] macho macho man

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 13:47:45 PDT 2008

>so, i'm scratching my head and trying to see what you see, in order to see
>any of these people this way. granted, maybe you don't, but you are
>apparently adept at seeing like the people you're speaking of. what are
>they seeing? what are the signals?

It's based on both my personal exposure to this mindset, and its reflection/promotion in certain media/online outlets. A lot of people in my experience want the prez to be "tough," someone they can pretend would take out a Putin or a Chavez or whoever. It's part of living in an apolitical culture. And it isn't necessarily a right wing concept. I've been hearing from liberals about how Palin is too stupid and weak to "stand up" to "our enemies." She's getting macho-baited by those who believe that Obama/Biden can "handle" the Putins of this world. So it's nothing that's fixed, but it is apparent.

Dennis