[lbo-talk] Palin bubble losing air?

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:04:52 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Can someone tell me what is more inane about the beginning of this speech
> than any of the other convention speeches?

How do we perceive an orator who describes his own humbleness as "great"? Particularly right after using the word "profound" to describe his gratitude?

If I tried accepting this as sensible public speaking, I'd probably feel the same cognitive dissonance as I would with Condoleeza Rice's statement that foreign forces should be withdrawn from Iraq -- as if US forces aren't foreign.

> It just seemed like standard US political stuff to me.

Do you perceive Palin's speech that way too? If so, then I suppose you voice that opinion when people discuss her speech here, and that's certainly a sensible opinion. (But if you don't, has she transcended the everyday political world into a new realm of darkness?)

Personally, I think Palin's nomination speech was more entertaining than all the other speeches, though I mentioned one of my concerns about it in an earlier post.

Tayssir