[lbo-talk] Palin bubble losing air?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 16 15:53:00 PDT 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
>
>>> And after all, Palin didn't begin one of the most important speeches of her life with the inane:
>>>
>>> "With profound gratitude and great humility, I accept your
>>> nomination for the presidency of the United States."
>>>
>>> ^^^^
>>> CB: At first, everybody agreed that all of O's speeches were
>>> great...but many said that he should get absolutely no credit for that .
>>> "He makes great speeches, but what has he done ?" Now , of course , he
>>> says something that somebody thinks is "inane" ( and the statement is
>>> not quite inane, by the way; and he really doesn't have to say something
>>> profound in every statement)

Can someone tell me what is more inane about the beginning of this speech than any of the other convention speeches? It just seemed like standard US political stuff to me. I've said lots of shit about Obama's fans being delusional when they talk about profound change coming from a centrist Dem but CB seems correct here. Slamming this speech as more inane than any other just seems silly.

John Thornton