[lbo-talk] tim wise on white privilege

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:45:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM, shag <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

i've read wise before but probably didn't pay enough attention. does he
> normally confuse racial privilege with male privilege and class privilege
> like this?

My impression, since I first encountered Wise's ideas in my freshman orientation, has been that he and his entire industry exist to bolster the self-esteem of affluent white youth by helping them "oppose racism" (which always seems to be primarily a matter of agreeing that it's bad), while causing the least possible discomfort to their parents (through, for example, any awkward questions about economics)