[lbo-talk] Litmus test

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 08:59:29 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ---- From: Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> The upcoming election isn't just a contest between two national political candidates. It will also be viewed by history as a referendum on American attitudes, as voters have the chance to vote for an African-American president: How racist are we?

[WS:] Pretty racist, I am afriad.  I was afraid of that at the beginning of the primaries, I thought Obama was not electable because of his race.  But then, when I saw the level of popular support he gained over the "sure win" Clinton I became more optimistic - not to mention the fact that I liked his style and rhetoric much better than that of Clinton.  However, judging form the reactions of seemingly educated Democrat supporters (see my posting Amerika the delusional)  I am afraid that "qualifciations" are simply a cover uop for the old fashioned racism.  I think this is pretty convincing proof that in Amerika racism trumps every other consideration, inclusing economic self-interest.

Some time ago, I posted a note arguing that people do not act, let alone rebel, in defense of their material interests, but in defense of their dignity.  It seems that having a Black president is a greater threat to white Amerika sense of dignity than having right wing wackos hell bound to to destroy whatever little social protection  the citizens of this shithole have.

Fortunately, I have EU citizenship and that makes me really happy, Dimitri Kleiner and fellow Eurohaters notwithstanding.  Wojtek

--------------------------------------------------------------- "When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost. [...] All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men." - HL Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------