[lbo-talk] Litmus test

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 23 10:50:28 PDT 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> Vincent Hutchings, an expert on race and politics at the University of
> Michigan, makes a distinction between racism -- overt racial hatred --
> and a resistance to racial change, what he calls "racial conservatism."

So racism is only racism if you profess to hate the "other" but if you refuse to vote for a qualified candidate based solely on race it is merely "racial conservatism". What a nice way to let 5 millions racists off the hook, let's refer to them as racially conservative rather than racists. Hutchings seems less an expert on racism than he is at hiding its existence. Otherwise this was an interesting article. I didn't know about this past polling discrepancy. Why did 8 percent of voters lie to exit pollsters? The only reason I can see to lie to an exit pollster and tell them you did something you in fact did not do is that you felt shame over what you actually did. This means that at least 8 percent of the voters knew voting for Prop 2 was a shitty thing to do but they did it anyway. Why would they vote this way if they felt doing so would reflect negatively on them? What do they think they get in response to being a racist shit?

John Thornton