[lbo-talk] Mind-boggling contempt for Bush

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 06:38:07 PDT 2008

I keep reading from various liberals how the American people are "outraged" by McCain's recent tactics, that they're "too smart" to be fooled by such transparent gimmicks. Yeah. If only. Fact is, I seriously doubt that the majority of American adults really cares about these "debates," which really aren't debates, but extensions of campaign propaganda, wrapped inside a very tightly sealed format of permissible expression. The idea that we'll get a better sense of where these guys stand after they exchange talking points and postures is absurd. It's all about style -- who looks better at the podium, and appears smoother. That's it. The rest of it is a blank slate for bloggers and journos to project whatever they need onto it.

Dennis