[lbo-talk] Mind-boggling contempt for Bush

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 09:55:23 PDT 2008

Dennis Perrin wrote:
> I keep reading from various liberals how the American people are
> "outraged" by McCain's recent tactics, that they're "too smart" to be
> fooled by such transparent gimmicks. Yeah. If only. Fact is, I
> seriously doubt that the majority of American adults really cares
> about these "debates," which really aren't debates, but extensions of
> campaign propaganda, wrapped inside a very tightly sealed format of
> permissible expression. The idea that we'll get a better sense of
> where these guys stand after they exchange talking points and postures
> is absurd. It's all about style -- who looks better at the podium, and
> appears smoother. That's it. The rest of it is a blank slate for
> bloggers and journos to project whatever they need onto it.

The debates are truly pointless but McCain is calling attention to this fact and that is not allowed. The media will insist the debates are important so McCain will be punished by the media for pissing on their circus If they berate him enough some of that will rub off on voters and more will have negative opinions of him. This was a blunder on his part not because people will, on their own, give a shit but because people will be told to give a shit so some will.

John Thornton