[lbo-talk] Mind-boggling contempt for Bush

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 26 16:15:24 PDT 2008

At 05:08 PM 9/26/2008, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>>Not sure about that. A record number of people say they plan to
>>watch the debate, and there's some evidence that they can be decisive
>>in close elections.
>>
>>Doug
>
>As a "reality" show concept, sure. I can see that. But these are very
>limited, predictable exchanges. And given that over half of eligible
>voters usually don't bother to vote, it's left to the interested minority
>to chew it over afterwards.
>
>Dennis

1. they are predictable to us, jaded as we are, and predictable because we know all the moves b/c we've been paying attention.

When I talk to people, though, what I sense is that they don't pay much attention otherwise, and do look for the debate to learn something about the candidates. what they may be learning is not positions so much as style. be that as it may, i'm not going to sit in judgement about how they make up their mind. i can't fathom that very many people here leave style out of their judgements of other people's positions. you can see it operating here. initials: YF.

2. Doug has repeatedly pointed out that research shows that it doesn't matter if the other 50% get involved in elections: the outcome would be the same. and, in any event, the outcome ain't likely to be cynthia mckinney.