[lbo-talk] Sarkozy sees 20 billion euros in nuclear deals with India

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 23:04:15 PDT 2008

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1433552.php/Sarkozy_sees_20_billion_euros_in_nuclear_deals_with_India_

m&c Business

Sarkozy sees 20 billion euros in nuclear deals with India Business News

Paris - France is expecting nuclear power business worth some 20 billion euros (29 billion dollars) with India in the coming 15 years, President Nicolas Sarkozy said in remarks published Sunday.

Sarkozy made the prediction in remarks to the Le Journal du Dimanche, coming two days before his meeting on Tuesday in Paris with Indian Premier Manmohan Singh when the two countries are to lay down the contractual groundwork for cooperation in the nuclear field.

This would include a letter of intent for the construction of two French EPR heavy-water reactors, the newspaper report said. India is aiming to purchase up to eight EPR reactors.

But India is also reportedly aiming to purchase Russian and American reactors in its long-term aim to boost the share of nuclear power in its electricity output from the current 3 per cent to 20 per cent.

Prior to the Sarkozy-Singh talks, the Indian premier will be attending the European Union-India summit in Marseilles.

Sep 28, 2008, 12:29 GMT

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges