[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 22:30:29 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>
>> Even in the short run there are more progressive ways to deal with
>> this than just modifying Paulson's crap. FDIC expansion,
>> Nationalizing the Federal Reserve and turning it into a Bank of the
>> United States that grants the kind of credit we need.
>
> You're kidding, right? With this Congress? Or even the next one?
>
> Doug

I think we should put some of them out there. Duncan Black (Atrios) one heck of a popular blogger is saying repeatedly that we ought to take over financial institutions that are failing rather than bail them out. (The way he puts it, better to eat the whole thing than just the toxic garbage.) Fucking Mark Kleiman, neoliberal, pro humanitarian bomber, former Tsongas staffer is publicly advocating a quarter percent tax on financial transactions. Some of the favored assholes at Kos are advocating stuff on these lines too. We get what we get from Congress. Probably nothing except what is already on offer, but it in the face of overwhelming public rage at the bailout maybe we end up with better.