[lbo-talk] Galbraith backs the bailout

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Tue Sep 30 10:13:04 PDT 2008

His expanded take was posted yesterday before the vote.

Shane

How Much Will It Cost and Will It Come Soon Enough?

Could the current bailout bill have been better? Yes. But there are still a few fixes Congress should consider.

James K. Galbraith

[....]

Many are concerned with the fiscal implications of this bill, so let me turn to that question. Despite the common use of language, the capital cost of this bill does not involve "taxpayer dollars." It authorizes a financial transaction, exchanging good debt (U.S. Treasury bills and bonds) for bad debt (the "troubled assets"). Many of those troubled assets will continue to earn income for some time, perhaps a long time. The U.S. Treasury commits itself to paying the interest on the debts it issues. The net fiscal cost -- which is also the net fiscal stimulus -- of this bill is the difference between those two revenue streams. Given the very low rate of interest presently prevailing on Treasury bills, this is likely to be somewhere between $20 billion per year and zero from the beginning, even if the Treasury were to issue all $700 billion in new debt at once. It is a mistake, in short, to count the capital cost as a "cost to the taxpayer." This is not the

war in Iraq.

In the longer run, of course the Treasury will incur capital losses on the assets it acquires. The entire purpose of the bill is to overpay for bad assets, so as to give financial institutions a chance to recapitalize themselves. The proposal to recoup that capital at a later date through a fee on the same institutions strikes me as being somewhat defeating of the very purpose of the bill. If it is desirable to raise tax revenues to cover the running cost, a turnover tax in the stock market is an attractive alternative -- if it could be passed.

[....]

In short, as I said at the beginning, the bill is a vast improvement over the original Treasury proposal. Given the choice between approving or defeating the bill as it stands, I would urge supporting the bill. I do so without illusions. There need be no pretense that it will solve our underlying financial and economic problems. It will not. The purpose, in my view, is to get the financial system and the economy through the year, and into the hands of the next administration. That is a limited purpose, but a legitimate purpose. And it may be the most that can be accomplished for the time being.

<http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=how_much_will_it_cost_and_will_it_come_soon_enough>