[lbo-talk] The Bailout -- Holy Toledo

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Sep 30 10:41:16 PDT 2008

Chris Doss

It's not quite the same thing as envy, which doesn't have the same moral dimension, ^^^ CB: Probably best said that so-called resentiment is a specific form of envy, with a mystifying twist to make it seem original ,curious and profound. Also, N. seems to confine his concept to oppressed/exploiting classes resenting the riches of oppressing/exploiting classes. In other words, the oppressed/exploited class's resentiment is well founded , because the greater wealth of the exploiting class is from its exploiting the exploited classes. N. is philosopher of ruling classes down through the ages, defending them from the protest of ruled classes.

Yuk !

^^^^

but sure it's not like N was a totally original thinker on this point.

^^^^ CB: For the necessary ongoing critique of N, yeah, it is fake originality. What else is fake profundity in his writing ? ^^^

(I mean, when I envy a playah, I'm not necessarily insinuating that the playah is morally bad. I'm just jealous. ;))

^^^^ CB: Here's what's the same for envy and hiphop hating. Both the Christians and the players are saying that the envier/hater is "sinning" or doing something they shouldn't do. Envy itself is a sin, one of the seven deadly ( smile) The person envied is not a sinner. Similarly, hiphoppers are leveling a criticism at "haters", basically saying "don't do that". "Hating" is a "vice" to hiphoppers.

By the way, jealousy is not the same as envy. Envy is wanting something one doesn't have. Jealousy is wanting to keep something one has, not lose it to someone else.