[lbo-talk] Libs Rush To War

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:46:21 PDT 2009

Dennis P posted:

"After the president announced the deployment of 4,000 more troops (on top of the extra 17,000 he's already sent) Jon Soltz, an anti-Iraq war organizer with VoteVets wrote in the Huffington Post: 'With today's announcement President Obama has shown that he 'gets it.' That's why we at VoteVets.org are supporting the plan.' They even have a rah-rah petition going . . .

"On the website of the liberal Center for America Progress there are no fewer than five articles supporting the president's policy, including one headlined 'Seven Reasons Why We need to Engage in Afghanistan.'"

<http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion/423643/silence_on_afghanistan_if_only_it_were_a_joke>

Saw this coming 100 miles away. Liberals. What you gonna do?

Which serves as supporting evidence for Richard Seymour's argument in _The Liberal Defense of Murder_

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberal-Defence-Murder-Richard-Seymour/dp/1844672409>

And, even more specifically, fulfills Glen Ford's prediction of "incoherence" among those left-leaning people who believed the Obama administration to be inherently, even deeply, non militarist and 'progressive'.

Ford's ideas are discussed here:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2008/2008-January/000587.html>

.d.