[lbo-talk] they need us - where are we?

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:46:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 14:54 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> It's not idiotic at all. What's the alternative? I've been watching
> this stuff closely for more than 20 years, and I see little more than
> pious wishes about localization coming from the NGO-funded gang. The
> "Marxist" groupuscles have nothing to say except slogans from 1917.
> What alternative is that "we" are going to bring about, if we can just
> find the way?

What's idiotic is Hadas's suggestion that proposing a coherent alternative is sufficient; as if, if one proposed a better economic system, the world would beat a path to your door. He's also idiotic in taking the slogans of the G20 protesters as the limit of their theoretical acumen, which is why I wanted to mention the G20 alternatives meeting (apparently they did attempt to go ahead with it in spite of UEL's lack of cooperation, though I'm not sure what the outcome was).

That being said, I do agree with you that we don't have any clearer idea of what "we" want than of what "we" ought to do, although I don't think this is just for lack of trying. Actually, it was a mistake for me to respond to Hadas's demand for economic alternatives without any consideration of political means, by proposing political means without any consideration of economic alternatives. The two obviously need to go together.

--

"The slightly richer ... eat in semi-darkness, preferring

candles to electricity. These candles make me laugh. All the

electricity belongs to the bourgeoisie, yet they eat by

candle-end. They have an unconscious fear of their own

electricity. They are embarrassed, like the sorcerer who has

called up spirits he is unable to control."

-- Vladimir Mayakovsky http://blog.voyou.org/ voyou at voyou.org