[lbo-talk] they need us - where are we?

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 20:37:12 PDT 2009

> The problem is not just that the G20 Meltdown protesters couldn't
> articulate what is to be done, but they didn't even offer a critique
> of capitalism that explains why it causes war, climate change and
> economic collapse. This is why all the BBC reports I heard on the
> protests said they were protests against "capitalism, war, and climate
> change" -- as if these are three discrete problems.

Sorry, I'll be rationalist to my grave, but this is something else.

Why do these protesters protest?

Seriously, what they aim for is irrelevant...fair enough... but they have an aim.

Most leftists say something along these lines:

"Boo-hoo society is crap etc."

But, and I'm very serious here: what if they used these masses to push through policies which they found extremely ethical?