[lbo-talk] Did the IMF really get religion?

Ira Glazer ira.glazer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:21:42 PDT 2009

Is this true, or self-serving cover my/our ass bullshit:

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2009/04/01/simon_johnson/index.html

That it was ironic to hear an IMF economist criticizing the relaxation of controls on international capital flows when it had historically been standard advice from the IMF to developing nations to do just that? Johnson [former IMF chief economist] dismissed the broadside with a laugh. The bankruptcy of the Washington Consensus<http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2006/01/06/washington_consensus/>is old news, he said. Ten years ago, he said, "we" figured out that free movement of capital across international borders wasn't a very good idea. "We've moved on since then."