[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 20:54:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Philip wrote:
>
> "The increasing suicide trend, both internationally and in Ireland, is now
> major public health problem. This is particularly so for young men, where
> there has been a four fold increase in the suicide rate in Ireland since
> 1990, making it the most common cause of death in young people."
>
> Man is a social animal and the main thrust of capitalism is to break every
> connection. When all the connections are broken, life feels like
> death-in-life and there are no compensations for that. I assume this is also
> why the rate of reproduction is declining everywhere.
> There is also the very high level of stress, anxiety, and depression
> because the system has no content and therefore we are all basically
> homeless.
>
> Joanna

Look, I hate to preach, but if you want to understand this phenomenon properly from a sociological perspective, then here's the comprehensive study:

http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Emile-Durkheim/dp/0684836327/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238730749&sr=8-1

If you want to open a thread on the deeper aspects, I'll certainly give my opinion.