[lbo-talk] they need us - where are we?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 3 14:00:17 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 03:23 PM 4/2/2009, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
> >welcome back Carrol!
> >
> >I was disappointed that I didn't awake to a slew of overposts.
> >
> >shag
>
> Me too. Will we see a day soon when people send emails *during* a
> colonoscopy? Has that already happened?

Rather difficult to post while under a general anaesthetic. Current anaesthesia is really impressive for anyone who had surgery in an earlier period. I had no surgery between xmas eve 1936 (atuo accident) and January 1990 (broken hip). There is quite a difference between that (out like a light, awake bing) and inhaling ether in 1936 (and coming groggily awake as I was being driven home later that night).

Of course it is this sort of technological change for the better that creates the iddeological illusion of Social Progress as a immanent in history.

Carrol