[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 15:38:37 PDT 2009

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> John Thornton writes:
>
>> Robbery is the #1 violent offense (~30% of total violent
>> crime) in spite of the fact that the majority of robberies
>> involve no physical assault to anyone.
>
> Is this supposed to make us feel better about robbery?
>
> The mere threat of violence isn't violence anymore?
>
> Let us know when the new Thornton's Law Dictionary goes into print.
>
> /jordan

It isn't supposed to make you feel anything. You can fear whatever you wish. The person who robs a convenience store or check cashing place is desperate and one should never underestimate what desperate people will do. They are not however acting on a desire to harm others. I think this point is worth noting. Perhaps you don't? The desperation for money could easily be alleviated with a good social safety net. Doug mentioned wanting a person to go to prison for stealing a car. I would never want another person to be incarcerated because of a property crime. Community service would seem a much more appropriate punishment and one that would be socially useful as well.

John Thornton