[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Apr 6 15:09:45 PDT 2009

John Thornton writes:

>> The mere threat of violence isn't violence anymore?
>
> The person who robs a convenience store or check cashing
> place is desperate and one should never underestimate what
> desperate people will do. They are not however acting on a
> desire to harm others. I think this point is worth noting.

I get it, really I do: you're uncomfortable with the generally accepted definition of robbery as being a violent crime in all cases. You'd like to make an exception for those who aren't "acting on a desire to harm others" -- which sounds like trying to make a distinction where there is none.

/jordan