[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 17:05:21 PDT 2009

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> John Thornton writes:
>
>>> The mere threat of violence isn't violence anymore?
>>
>> The person who robs a convenience store or check cashing
>> place is desperate and one should never underestimate what
>> desperate people will do. They are not however acting on a
>> desire to harm others. I think this point is worth noting.
>
> I get it, really I do: you're uncomfortable with the generally
> accepted definition of robbery as being a violent crime in all cases.
> You'd like to make an exception for those who aren't "acting on a
> desire to harm others" -- which sounds like trying to make a
> distinction where there is none.
>
> /jordan

Your failure to see the difference doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My objection is to lumping murder and rape with robbery as violent crimes since in the first two cases the desire is to do physical harm but in the later it is not. If you think there is no distinction who would you rather face, a person seeking to kill you or a person who wants your wallet and MAY harm you if you don't give it to them? I know which one I would rather face but apparently I'm seeing a distinction where there is none in your opinion. A good social safety net can protect me from the later but prisons may be needed to protect me from the former.

John Thornton