[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 23:20:08 PDT 2009

Any criminal defense lawyer will tell you that 99% of the clients are guilty. I never ask and don't want to know. (If they tell me they did it I can't ethically say they didn't.) It's not quite true that what lands them in prison is ethnicity and poverty -- generally the evidence is pretty strong. It's not like they'd get off at a much higher rate if they had better lawyers. It's that poor people of color are disproporionately targeted for enforcement. What creates a disproprtionately poor and minority prison population is race and poverty. Incidentally the crimes of the rich and white, the white collar stuff I used to defend, while harder to prove, have a much higher conviction rate than state street crime. The US Atty almost aways gets her man. Like 99% of the time, as opposed to maybe 60-70% in state court.