[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Apr 7 07:07:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:37:44PM -0700, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Like the Marines say in Aliens when told they have to give up their
> explosive ammo, What are we supposed to use, harsh language?

Re: the car thief and this false dilemma of "what shall we do?" how about paying the car thief more than he earns jacking cars, to learn a skill or trade? I guess it matters whether we want to get those bastards who took our stuff, versus reduce poverty and crime.

> The law is a blunt instrument. Kid takes my car for a joyride,
> professional car thief takes my car to a chop shop. Intuitively they
> should be treated differently. Maybe they would be if the kid didn't
> intent to deprive me of possession permanently. But I definitely
> want the pro car thief in jail.

These hypotheticals are fun because we can just make them up!

Isn't the real distinction in how these thieves will be treated by the US criminal justice system going to be a function of their race and wealth? White kid who is boosting cars and selling them to a chop shop, but who lives in the 'burbs and whose dad is friends with one of the local government board members, versus black kid from the 'hood who just took a car for a joy ride - I wonder who gets the harsher sentence?!?!?!?

Having known a lot of people who have been in and out of prisons mostly for drug offenses and drug-related offenses (larceny and robbery, which are mostly done to get money for drugs), and hearing how they describe it, I can't imagine wanting to see someone be sent to those houses of torture, ever.

There is even something icky about saying "I would like Dahmer to be tortured for the rest of his life as punishment", when we spell out what a life sentence in a prison really is - a lifetime of torture. Just keep him from causing more harm, in the most humane way possible, and focus on reducing domestic violence/rape, which seems to be a common element with the Dahmers of the world.

>From a pragmatic standpoint, the hurdles of the probation/parole
system that are put in front of someone who has been to prison are almost insurmountable unless someone comes from a position of privilege. So sending someone to prison is a sure-fire way to make sure they continue commiting crimes.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

We don't know if it was a case of international terrorism... or road rage.

-FBI Agent Frank Perry, commenting on the three-state alert regarding a car containing 'middle eastern men' which alledgedly tried to run a fuel truck off the road.