[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 7 16:36:33 PDT 2009

SA wrote:
> Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> I don't think that John is advocating that prison should be done away
>> with for ALL crimes, just for nonviolent property-related ones.
>>

> Ah. Sorry, my mistake.
>
> Still, a good question to ask our abolitionists.
>
> SA

More than that. Unless you physically harm another human AND can reasonable be considered a threat to other humans something other than prison is a better choice. I know of no therapy that prevents child molesters from repeating their crimes therefore prison is societies best option in such cases. A person who steals a car or robs a convenience store are overwhelmingly not such persons. Not never, just very rarely. We are far too cavalier in imprisoning people in the US as is shown by our astronomical incarceration rate.

John Thornton