[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 7 17:47:16 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:36 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> We are far too cavalier in imprisoning people in the US as is shown
> by our astronomical incarceration rate.

I'll agree with that. And our sentences are way too long. You can get 5 years for stealing a car; the guy who stole mine should get only 1. Drugs should get 0, obviously. But you're pretty cavalier about armed robbery. Holding up a 7-11 with a gun is pretty serious stuff. Mugging a person on the sidewalk with a knife is too.