[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 8 13:56:46 PDT 2009

An added note:

When we are surprised sometime in the coming years with the sudden rise of popular protest of a magnitude to constitute a movement, WHAT WILL WE WISH WE HAD SAID, IN ONE OR MORE FORUMS FROM LOCAL GROUPS OR LETTERS TO THE LOCAL PAPER UP TO NATIONAL PUBLICATIONS, DURING THE PRECEDING YEARS. Xxxxxxxxx

May I suggest the kind of things

(1) t reform the prison system But Close the Priosns Down tut cloxe the prisons down

(2) Not Be Kinder to Illegal aliens but Open Borders: Citizenship for all

We need to say these things and if we have any organizational relations at all, push their discussion in those groups and if possible in wider circles. Get a feeling for them and a better way to say them, but be on the record as it were of having said them.

This is the framework for my posts on prisons and several other topics. Note that they presuppose a reader who is actively inolved in non-electoral politics at some level: shag's book group counts; even an occasional chat with friends about how to start a local group where there is none counts. But some inovlement or intention of involvement is necessary to make sense of what

(Incidentally, I agree with all tha shag has written.)

Carrol