[lbo-talk] "Doing History Backward" (Partial Draft)

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:30:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Philip Pilkington <pilkingtonphil at gmail.com>wrote:

>> You are right of course that buying a council house did not make anybody
>> middle class - but then did anyone really believe that? A lot of people were
>> glad to be free of the local authority's crappy services and were pleased to
>> buy their homes - and why should they not be the people best placed to work
>> out how to look after themselves?
>>

> Moral judgements? I didn't try. This was how ideology functioned, as far as
> I'm concerned...
>
> Like it or don't... I don't care. Judge on how people "felt" if you like,
> I have nothing against it... but its not my type of politics!

Sorry I think I should be less flippant about this, although God knows I'm tempted.

I'm saying that Thatch, along with houses, sold many Britons an idea. She sold them an idea of moving away from their neighbour in order to "make it". Did anyone believe this? Yes I thin they did. Otherwise they would have stuck together. Thatcher played on people's envy... which is ingenious...

Didn't Adorno recoil in horror at the student occupations, and denounce the hippies as 'red fascists'?

As for this. I agree with Adorno. They were Red Fascists. They had no interest in anything but their own moral righteousness and they'd have done nothing to achieve anything. Yet at the same time they were cultural bereft... I see nothing particularly progressive about the 60s generation. No responsibility, no ideas... nothing...