[lbo-talk] Joseph Massad gets tenure

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Apr 9 13:02:06 PDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:48:25 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What choice do they have? The original belief seems to have been that there would be quick unequivocal victories in Afghanistan and Iraq that would put the US in a position to squeeze Iran and do whatever it wanted to it, but things haven't really worked out that way and so there is a more powerful Iran stuck between two failed states, both of which it has a lot of influence in. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Tehran is dictating terms to the US in Iraq behind the scenes. So, what does an Israeli attack on Iran imply for the US positions in Iraq and Afghanistan? It's not good.

I agree entirely with all of this. The only question in my mind is whether the Israelis might not just go ahead this time, figuring Obie would never be able to lower the hammer on 'em. They *do* seem to be a little desperate -- touch of the cornered-rat syndrome. But my crystal ball is all dark. You'd have to know a lot more than I do about the inner world of the American elites to make any confident predictions, or so I would think.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org