[lbo-talk] cleansing

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:29:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Philip Pilkington <pilkingtonphil at gmail.com>wrote:

> Probably a Western thing generally. Most likely and attempt to "wipe out
> the negative" and probably serves the same psychological purpose as herbal
> placebos, fruit smoothies and other such products of the medicalisation of
> society. Biopower in the bathroom... and shit!

Actually, on second thought I have an even more attractive interpretation.

Freud claimed that shit was the basic human symbol of a gift and tied it to the social function of money. When the kiddy goes in the potty they see it as a gift to their parents/society; thus people who "held it in" as kids would become stingy, they'd be "anal" characters... the genesis of the word.

So why would people want to "erase" this act of giving. Because they're not spending as much? Deflation in the bathroom?