[lbo-talk] cleansing

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:16:50 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> i have been far too busy to pay attention to pop culture, but i do notice
> the growing array of ways to cleanse my shitter sitting on store shelves,
> pitched by 30 minute infomercials, and seemingly all the rage as I'm seeing
> it, more and more, done by bloggers.

This is definitely an Australian thing too... rival digestive yogurts are duelling through most prime time ad breaks at the moment. Also there's a charming new ad set inside a woman's bowels, involving a home makeover metaphor.

Besides the psychologistic explanations others have jumped in with, I'd suggest its taking off partly because the marketing people have discovered a latent medical anxiety ripe for exploitation - and it's one that can be targeted with dietary supplements rather than highly regulated drugs.

Mike Beggs scandalum.wordpress.com