[lbo-talk] note of thanks

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 06:50:55 PDT 2009

I never really understood the appeal of Derrida for people who consider themselves radicals. Part of the whole point of Heidegger/Foucault/Derrida is that nothing ever really changes. The system of presence/power/signifiers always preserves itself. It's really rather quietist. On one level -- the basically deep metaphysical/theological one that Heidegger and Derrida were talking about* -- that's probably true, but it doesn't really lend itself to application on the political plane.

*I know both of them would have eschewed those terms, but "theology" and "metaphysics" have technical meanings for Derrida and Heidegger, and I'm using them in a more everyday fashion.