[lbo-talk] note of thanks

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Apr 10 14:00:49 PDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I never really understood the appeal of Derrida for people who
> consider themselves radicals. Part of the whole point of Heidegger/
> Foucault/Derrida is that nothing ever really changes. The system of
> presence/power/signifiers always preserves itself. It's really
> rather quietist. On one level -- the basically deep metaphysical/
> theological one that Heidegger and Derrida were talking about* --
> that's probably true, but it doesn't really lend itself to
> application on the political plane.

Hmm... I am not sure I consider myself a radical... usually that term is foisted on you, isn't it? Derrida holds no attraction for me (mostly because I cannot understand his stuff) but the little I understood of Heidegger was certainly radicalising. All the cheerful optimistic certainty thrown at me in school was beginning to feel pretty fake very early on. And the techno-utopianism of my generation (or 1/2 generation before) felt much the same, especially in light of the much broader struggle (in India) of the early 20th century. But so deep was the rot that coming out of school, my one great love was Artificial Intelligence. To read someone (later, in my 20s), who approached things and issues in opposition to the reigning triumphalist reductionism ("turning towards what is readily available"), was to be be given a framework to ground one's suspicions of the prevailing emperors of thought and finally stand up from under the collective boot of the footnote[r]s to Plato. Unlike you, I am no Heidegger scholar, and I might well be one of the many who romanticise Heidegger (to their needs), so this response should be read merely as a personal comment.

You write in another post:
> Later, when the bottom fell out of Nazism, Heidegger revised this so
> that capitalist liberal democracy, communism, and fascism, despite
> outward appearances, were really at bottom the same thing
> (technological thinking).

That might be a later (and self-serving) turn in Heidegger, but fortunately for me, that is literally the only Heidegger I know (though I have attempted more than once to muddle through his Nietzsche volumes, Being and Time, etc, and even understood some of it). The Dreyfus/Winograd response to strong-AI that I mentioned in an earlier post is another example of tracing a point of differentiation (if not line of attack) to Heidegger, much more so than Penrose in this case (of AI).

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/