[lbo-talk] Note of thanks

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Apr 11 19:28:37 PDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Eubulides wrote:
> Iirc, it was Fernando Flores who got TW interested in H.

Yes, the second link in my message is to a book that Winograd coauthored with Flores.

> Did I mention that imho H. set new standards in bloviation?

Once I read Plato, I sort of took bloviation as an unavoidable feature of Western philosophy (Eastern philosophers, having gotten in on the game with a handsome headstart, were bloviating a long time before Plato stepped into his cave) -- Kant, Hegel (the little I could read of him) sharpened my filters and by the time I hit Heidegger I was well prepared! Later I came across Erasmus and Frege. Wish I had read them *before*!

> I know you know the whole Hubert Dreyfus rant now, right?

Don't know which rant you speak of, but Dreyfus yes, he was referred to as well in my original email.

I wrote to Winograd asking for a copy of his Heidegger paper and he wrote back within minutes with a LaTeX attachment. I love CS and mathematics academics, who always humour such requests (Neal Koblitz even snail mailed me a printed copy of his old papers)! The only other academic who responds to my email is Michael Perelman (and Julio). ;-)

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/