[lbo-talk] cleansing

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Apr 12 07:25:03 PDT 2009

maybe it was a mistake to use the phrase "shitter". i was having fun. what i'm observing is an interest in de-toxifying the body. i'm still having fun about some connection between the economy and body detoxification.

at any rate, i'm talking about the detox diets that were fads among celebrities a few years ago, and have now been packaged and marketed to the masses: the 5 day "liver cleanse" my son did. sure, it's been around for 20 years, but is only now something i can find on the shelves of the grocery store. You know, the detox kits, the juice that sells for way too much money, marketed as having special cleansing / detox properties.

I'm not sure what the fascination with jacked up yogurt is: except that 1. yogurt and allied foodstuffs are being heavily marketed for the bacterial cultures which aid digestive health and thus targeted at people who've developed intolerances to various proteins: milk and wheat being the two most prominent. and 2. in the course of learning about that, I'm sure people are realizing they don't get enough fiber, so the get 2-in-1 product factor is appealing.

At first, I thought it might be a fad because of our crap health care system: more and more people are turning to forms of self-medication for ailments they think they might have.

But, people are into this stuff in countries where there's better health care systems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-patricia-fitzgerald/detox-demystified-fad-fac_b_179900.html Detox Demystified: Fad, Fact, Or Fiction?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/01/body.detox/ Detox diets: Health regimen or latest fad?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1506859/Water-as-effective-as-any-detox-fad-say-scientists.html Water as effective as any detox fad

etc.