[lbo-talk] cleansing

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 12 08:24:34 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> maybe it was a mistake to use the phrase "shitter". i was having fun. what
> i'm observing is an interest in de-toxifying the body. i'm still having fun
> about some connection between the economy and body detoxification.

I think you are focusing too much on a narrow time period. Your 'search' only makes sense if it is, really, a _new_ phenomenon you are examining, and my strong suspicion is that it is merely fashionable variation on on a theme, the theme being a product of 19th century concern with cleanliness and the almost maniacal proliferation of "new" version of old commodities (no longer just canned string beans but half a dozen variations). I don't know what they were, but one of the inescapable ads of the '30s and '40s were for "Carter's Little Liver Pills." And regularity has been a major obsession fo huge numbers of people for at least a century. I don't believe the fashions you are talking about are any more significant thatn a change in shirt style from one to two pokcets or two to one pocket. Very minor variatoions on a standard practice.

Carrol