[lbo-talk] internally riven

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Apr 13 08:05:11 PDT 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
> Linguistic fetishism, whether that of Wittgenstein or Derrida, is
> the central sin of 20th-century philosophy!

I sort of made a joke about this, but I don't think it was all that bad especially when one considers the response. You are not giving logical positivism its due! ;-) I mean, analytical philosophy, including some with consideration of linguistic issues (thanks to W's relationship with Russell), flourished in the 20th century -- an entirely new (AFAIK) and fruitful sub-field -- philosophy of science -- was born, (explicitly) spawning off Philosophy of Mathematics, Philosophy of Biology (Sober, Kitcher, Buller), etc. But a lot of [IMHO] naive philosophical adventures by non-philosophers in the 20th century, often in the form of attacks against philosophy as a general programme (including the linguistic turn) was an outcome of [nascent or triumphal] logical positivism, I think.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/