[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Apr 14 20:01:14 PDT 2009

This reminds me of one of the stranger moments in one of Balibar's classes. Balibar was teaching a class on Freud and the political, focusing on the idea of voluntary servitude. In the midst of a discussion on de la Boetie's small pamphlet on the topic, he noted along with the familiar translation that gave the book the title discourse on voluntary servitude (the book itself is without a title) there was a libertarian translation, entitled 'slaves that are willing." After that, he stated, "I know what you are thinking, but it is not a porno." He then went on to do a reading of the text. robert wood