[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 15 06:22:14 PDT 2009

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:
>
>> While what passes for the Left spends is time discussing the nuances
>> of
>> "theory," or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
>
> Oh please.
>
> I haven't quoted this in seven years, so I'm itchy. From a stupid
> theory-bashing column by Eric Alterman in The Nation:
>
> > "But here's the twist. [Reformist Social-Democratic
> > Leftist Nelson] Lichtenstein is part of a perfectly
> > Rortyite reformist Campaign for a Living Wage at
> > the University of Virginia. This campaign is not
> > about ending sexism, racism, or homophobia, but
> > about getting janitorial staff a few extra bucks
> > an hour. Who are its volunteers? Primarily, says
> > Lichtenstein, faculty and graduate students from
> > the pomo literature and theory crowd.

ah. this is the quote I was trying to remember awhile back.

anyway, a quibble: although I have no clue what motivated The Po Moes in this example, I would say that, for most people I know with a Po Moe bent, this kind of work would be understood as part of the fight against sexism and racism.

I would also add that I think, following a friend of mine who is probably spinning in his grave that I ever, ever write about or take seriously figures such as Foucault or Derrida or Lyotard or Deleuze and Guattari or or or, we should call it The Po Moe and The Po Moes. My friend, who passed away at a young age, always called Foucault, The Foucault. Not with any special emphasis on "the" or anything.

The toaster. The car. The rain. The pen. The Foucault. The Po Moe. The Po Moes.

Speaking of, if Eric is reading: I recall that recently, you derisively (I thouhgt anyway) referred to recogniztion -- possibly in the context of Zizek or Hegel.

Could you expound on what you meant by that? I know that's a rather broad and vague request but if you're so inclined at expounding, just about anything would be of interest at the moment. Thanks!

oh and before I forget, I saw reference to this buzz yesterday, while glancing at the computer screen of the guy at the cewb across the aisle. Article about DHS's fear of the scary rightwing fringe. I thought at the time that, wow, just some more DHS propaganda intended to stir up phear! Why the hell are we taking this shit seriously at all? it's not like these wankers haven't been around for awhile: rightwing militia, etc. etc.

shag