[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Apr 15 13:21:48 PDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm not wondering about the number, but the use of the definite
> article. Elsewhere people say "95" or "I-95." I've never heard
> anyone say "The 95."

People say "the Bruckner", "the Pulaski Skyway", etc,. Not just to refer to them in the abstract, but in a sentence such as "You can take the Pulaski to get to Holland Tunnel" (should that be "the Holland Tunnel"?). In fact, it seems to me, "I-95" (without the "the") is the oddball.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/