[lbo-talk] Heartfield on Derrida

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 13:25:40 PDT 2009

Shag: "which one says "objectively imperialist" "objectively conservative" etc? is that a trot thing? Stalnist? CPUSA?"

Maybe the cadences are different in the US, but if I heard 'objectively imperialist' that would definitely have me thinking of some kind of orthodox Trotskyist forcing the argument, like the Workers Revoloutionary Party (as was) or nowadays Sean Matgamna's 'Workers' Liberty' group. They would be there saying that the anti-Israel position was 'objectively anti-Semitic', meaning that it did not matter what the subjective intentions of the speaker were, their opposition to Israel is *objectively* anti-Semitism.