[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 14:06:57 PDT 2009

Isn't not eating meat kind of a big thing in India? Anyway, it's not really relevant.

Eating meat is not the ethical issue. It is the suffering involved in obtaining the meat. That suffering should be minimized is a near-universally accepted premise. Therefore, it follows that eating meat should be minimized. The argument is valid, but people don't like the conclusion, which is why goofball assertions like "animals don't suffer!" get thrown out, or alternatively, "only human suffering matters," which leads to the troubling question of "why?." (That human beings happen to be biologically adapted be able to consume both plants and animals is not really relevant. "Is" is not "ought.")

I eat meat myself. A lot. I had a spicy Italian sub just this evening. But I don't go through argumentative leaps of fancy to pretend that I am not participating in the propagation of suffering. I am.