[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 15 16:47:32 PDT 2009

While I oppose ahistorical moral arguments for _anything_, and reject vegetarian arguments that everyone _should_ be vegetarian, I've previously indicated that I dislike slanging elements of the popularion that either are or might be, under some conditions, on 'our' side. Under that heading I've demurred from personal attacks on SUV drivers and evangelical. And since humor is at least apt to be focused on persons rather than ideas, I'm made uncomfortable by humor at the expense of vegetarians, many of whom are _already_ on our side.

As a general point, I doubt that the world's need for protein could be even minimally satisfied by universal vegetarianism. Cruelty to animals is another issue, independent of whether they do suffer or not: they seem to, and unchecked cruelty corrupta, just as harsh prison conditions and retributive justice corrupt the general society.

Carrol