[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 15 18:39:24 PDT 2009

Mike Beggs wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm a vegetarian, but rarely discuss it.
>>
>> Several years ago when my youngest cousin discovered I was a vegetarian, he began quietly eating all-meat dinners whenever I >would come over to eat. Felt very pasive-aggressive, and he did so silently. I never said anything. That kind of stuff is common. >*shrugs*
>>

> Ha, me too. I go to great lengths to avoid discussing it, partly out
> of incredible boredom with the argument, but mainly because for some
> reason it's hard for some people not to take it personally. A certain
> kind of person - and it's not a rare kind - seems to take it as a
> personal slight. Vegetarians _must_ be judging me. Vegetarians must
> have some smug sense of superiority... They think they're better than
> me? etc.
>
> Mike Beggs

When vegetarians claim eating meat is deliberate cruelty it follows that those who eat meat are deliberately being cruel. Don't you imagine some people will get defensive when you suggest they are being deliberately cruel? Any moral argument for vegetarianism makes the claim of the moral superiority of vegetarians. That is what moral arguments do, posit one moral position as superior to another. Again, how would you imagine most people will react when you claim to be morally superior to them? The vegetarians who proclaim loudly and publicly that they are vegetarians are doing so for what reason exactly? They imagine many people are excitedly waiting to find out details about anothers eating habits? Perish the thought they might just believe they their own hype and believe they are morally superior to meat eaters. Vegetarians who, like most non-vegetarians, don't make a point of publicly discussing their eating habits aren't the vegetarians that us omnivores object to. You can eat whatever you damn well please but fuck you very much if you want to make a moral judgment about my T-bone.

John Thornton