[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Apr 15 21:54:08 PDT 2009

Ravi writes:

> Most vegetarians are so because they want suffering to be minimised.

I don't get that at all. I think there are at least three distinct "kinds" of vegetarians:

- Political

"Eating meat is wrong"

- Health

"Eating meat is unhealthy"

- Posturing/borderline eating disorder

Kind of like LUGs.

So I'm not sure there's such as group as "most vegetarians" ...

>> I don't recall the argument that meat was a necessity being put
>> forth. When did I miss that?
>
> It has been in the general argument against the vegetarian position.

Strawman. The "general argument" (if there is one) is not that eating meat is *necessary* but rather that it's "normal" and "common" ... so it's not like it's sociopathic to do so. Like: we're here, we eat animals, get used to it.

>>> In the practice of industrial animal farming we in fact hold
>>> microbial life in higher esteem over bovine.
>>
>> So I suppose that vegetarians would be okay with meat that's
>> produced using non-industrial methods? I mentioned this before, but
>> Niman Ranch is just one of a group of folks who know that tasty meat
>> doesn't come from factories.
>
> Which vegetarians?

Exactly the ones you claimed to speak for above :-)

Regardless, I hold porcine life in higher esteem over most humans. And in death I celebrate it by eating it respectfully.

/jordan