[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Apr 16 06:31:27 PDT 2009

Jordan writes:

I think there are at least three distinct
> "kinds" of vegetarians:
>
> - Political
>
> "Eating meat is wrong"
>
> - Health
>
> "Eating meat is unhealthy"
>
> - Posturing/borderline eating disorder

our feminist group read a book on vegetarianism/veganism. most people there were omnivores, but some had tried vegetarian diets at some point. Two women of color did so because they'd heard that it would help with digestive problems that typically afflict women of color -- lactose intolerance. They gave up on it because that wasn't the problem.

One other woman, and there are a few others I've known who've said this, just find eating meat gross. They are squicked out by it. They don't like the taste.

One of the women is has continued the practice was making fun of another woman who was more vigilant. They'd been traveling together and the women in my group was used to traveling as a vegetarian. the other woman wasn't and didn't know that, in the south, it's not a good idea to order vegetables and assume there's no meat broth or fat used in preparation. Apparently, she was totally grossed out by that. Just freaked at the idea that her beans might have been made with meat broth.

I'm not sure how to understand this particular reaction since the woman in our group said that she wasn't a political vegetarian and certainly a little meat broth isn't going to destroy your health.

Is this an example of a borderline eating disorder do you think?

shag