[lbo-talk] new radio product

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 19 10:15:35 PDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

> It was interesting that she wouldn't go so far as to say the
> bourgeoisie, which I didn't name that way, wants automatons who follow
> orders and push buttons, so this is the educational system they've
> derived with that in mind. There's no evidence they really want critical
> thinkers and informed self-governing citizens, is there?

No, of course not. But most educational theory seems to indicate they've always gotten that fine through the hidden curriculum. Which has only been reinforced in the last two decades by cutbacks in funding (huge debt, guilt towards parents, inability to get off the treadmill) and the feeling of economic insecurity, all of which get kids to choose jobs that will quickly make money, all of which lead to internalizing what is approved.

So this fucking up of the curriculum seems like an excess of cretinization on top that isn't needed and is just gratuitously stupid.

Michael