[lbo-talk] papal logic

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 21 20:24:58 PDT 2009

You're quite right that clerical office couldn't be inherited. That was the church's way out of the family and pseudo-family alliances that were the basis of feudal polity. But that didn't mean that clerical office necessarily went to the aristocracy. Quite the contrary -- it was the route for men (and even women) of talent to rise, throughout the Middle Ages. Thomas Becket (whose father was a cloth merchant) and Thomas Wolsey (whose father was a butcher) are well-known English examples.

And in fact it was the monasteries, not the episcopate, that were the major landowners (as, e.g., Henry VIII's button-man, Thomas Cromwell, well understood).

Eliding the Reformation and the Great Revolution is at best a bit Whiggish, but in fact the Reformation was inter alia a feudal movement. The new absolutist states of the 16th century -- state feudalisms, as Perry Anderson explains in "Lineages of the Absolutist State" (!974) -- seized control of the church apparatus throughout Europe. That's why areas where the state already controlled the church ca. 1500 (e.g. France) remained Catholic, while areas where it didn't (e.g. England) became Protestant. --CGE