[lbo-talk] papal logic

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 22 06:51:48 PDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:24 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> You're quite right that clerical office couldn't be inherited. That
> was the church's way out of the family and pseudo-family alliances
> that were the basis of feudal polity. But that didn't mean that
> clerical office necessarily went to the aristocracy.

I asked: "Who the hell spawned the episcopate--serfs?" The reply--a couple of Englishmen co-opted from the bourgeoisie were cited and also that in England the Episcopate ran many of its estates through monasteries. One might as well reject the idea of a capitalist ruling class by pointing to the humble origins of Andrew Carnegie! As for the "feudal" reformation--read Tawney, read Weber!

Shane Mage